Rasmalai is a Indian festive dessert eaten at weddings and special occasions – Ras in Hindi translates to “juice” and malai to “cream”. Rasmalai is made with little dumplings of milk balls which are added into a beautiful saffron, cardamom, almond and pistachio milk which cooks the dumplings slowly into a light and soft Rasmalai. There are two ways as to how my Mum taught me this dessert:
1. Authentically and much preferred method you can make your own curdle milk by adding vinegar to boiled milk, straining the mixture, kneading to form a smooth dough.
2. With milk powder and egg is easy and quick to make: this is the way I am going to share with you today as I don’t want to overwhelm the recipe too much for anybody who is making it for the first time.
Its such a beautiful delicate dessert it really needs to be tasted to admire the beauty !
Try it for yourself this Eid, the recipe is really easy to follow.
3 and half cups milk
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup sugar
4 whole cardamom pods
1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder
1 cup milk powder
1 tablespoon clarified butter
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon thinly sliced almonds
1 tablespoon roughly chopped pistachios
1. Bring milk and evaporated milk to boil on low with sugar, whole cardamom lightly crushed, saffron, almonds and pistachios for approx 10 mins.
2. In a separate bowl mix together milk powder, baking powder, cardamom powder, clarified butter, slowly add whisked egg into the milk powder mixture and mix to gradually form a dough
3. Form approx 10 little balls, flatten ever so slightly and add into the milk.
4. Allow the milk dumplings to rise and cook for further 10 mins on medium-low heat. Turn milk balls around gently after 5 mins of cooking. Cook with lid close. Check it is soft before turning off heat
5. Allow to cool at room temperature and add into the fridge to chill before serving.
6.Garnish with saffron threads and chopped nuts
I used Klim milk powder but you can also use Nido
Use a wide pot as the dumpling do double in size
Once the Rasmalai is cooked it should be soft, light and spongy